Skip to content
OANY Supported Events Code of Conduct Policy
The Opticians Alliance of New York is committed to providing a welcoming, safe and supportive environment for all.
This Code of Conduct outlines our expectations for all those who participate in OANY supported events as well as the consequences for unacceptable behavior. In this document, OANY supported events are any events OANY organizes, contributes to, sponsors, and/or provides material assistance for in any way.
These events include, but are not limited to:
• OANY Annual Convention
• OANY Downstate Conference
• OANY Regional Education
• Pop-up Events
• OANY Board of Directors Meetings
• OANY Committee Meetings
• Phone calls
• OANY participation in conferences, regional education, trade shows, advocacy days and other programs hosted by other organizations
We expect all participants in OANY supported events to create safe and positive experiences for everyone.
“Participant” in this policy refers to anyone present at OANY supported events including speakers, members, attendees, vendors, exhibitors, contractors, guests, media and staff.
2. Expected Behavior
The Opticians Alliance of New York expects all participants at OANY-supported events (attendees, members, speakers, vendors, exhibitors, contractors, staff and venue staff) to abide by this Code of Conduct in all venues at OANY supported events, including ancillary events and official and unofficial social gatherings.
• Exercise consideration and respect in your speech and actions
• Refrain from demeaning, discriminatory, or harassing behavior and speech
• Be mindful of your surroundings and of your fellow participants
• Ensure that presented materials (verbal and visual) adhere to reasonable standards of professionalism and avoid inclusion of material that could be deemed offensive by any group – even if intended for purposes of levity and amusement
• Alert a OANY officer or a member of OANY staff if you notice violations of this Code of Conduct, even if they seem inconsequential
• Contact law enforcement immediately and directly if you witness a dangerous situation or someone in distress and take all steps you deem necessary to protect yourself.
3. Unacceptable Behavior
Unacceptable behaviors include, but are not limited to:
• Intimidating, harassing, abusive, discriminatory, derogatory or demeaning speech or actions by any participant in OANY supported events, at all related events and in one-on-one communications such as phone calls or emails carried out in the context of OANY supported events or business. OANY supported events venues may be shared with members of the public; please be respectful to all patrons of these locations.
• Harmful or prejudicial verbal or written comments or visual images related to gender, race, color, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, disability, political orientation, genetic information, age, familial status, military status, domestic violence victim status, or other personal characteristics.
• Inappropriate use of nudity and/or sexually suggestive images in public spaces (including presentation slides)
• Deliberate intimidation, stalking or following
• Harassing photography or recording
• Sustained disruption of talks or other events
• Unwelcome and uninvited attention or contact
• Physical assault (including unwelcome touching or groping)
• Real or implied threat of physical harm
• Real or implied threat of professional or financial damage or harm
Be careful in the words you choose. Harassment committed in a joking manner still constitutes unacceptable behavior. Remember that sexist, racist, and other exclusionary jokes can be offensive to those around you.
Excessive swearing and offensive jokes are not appropriate for OANY supported events.
Retaliation for reporting harassment is a violation of the Code of Conduct. Persons reporting violations of the policy will not be subject to any retaliation in any form.
4. Consequences of Unacceptable Behavior
Unacceptable behavior from any participant at OANY supported events, including attendees, speakers, sponsors, exhibitors, contractors, volunteer leaders, vendors, venue staff, and anyone with decision- making authority, will not be tolerated.
If a participant engages in unacceptable behavior, OANY reserves the right to take any action OANY deems appropriate up to and including rescinding a speaking invitation, rescinding an invitation to serve on a panel or OANY committee, removal of an individual from OANY supported events without warning or refund; prohibiting an individual from attendance at future OANY supported events; and the cancellation of OANY membership.
All complaints will be reviewed by the OANY Executive Board. This includes, but is not limited to:
• Review of the initial complaint
• Investigation into the situation presented
• An opportunity for the accused to be heard
Any action resulting from the Executive Board’s deliberation will be presented to the full board for approval. Should a complaint be filed by or refer to an officer or member of the board, that individual will be recused for all deliberations, decision-making and voting.
A record of all disciplinary action shall be maintained in OANY records.
5. If You Are Subject to or Witness Unacceptable Behavior
If you are being subjected to, or notice that someone else is being subjected to, behavior that violates this Code of Conduct, please contact a OANY officer or OANY staff in person or email info@OANY.org.
Officers and staff can be identified by their name badges at OANY supported events. All complaints will be treated seriously and responded to as promptly as possible.
If possible, provide the following information, preferably in writing:
• Identifying information (name, appearance) of the participant doing the harassing
• The behavior that was in violation
• The approximate time of the behavior (if different than the time the report was made)
• The circumstances surrounding the incident
• Other people involved in or witnessing the incident